Your fur buddy likes the water just as much as you do! Taking them on a nice kayaking experience is a great way to bond with your dog while having fun and teaching them to be safe around the water. Depending on what breed you have, a kayaking adventure could be their favorite thing to do, besides chewing on stuff and chasing things.
There are plenty of dog kayaks out there that are totally safe for Fido to sit and lay on while you navigate the waters. This article will change the image that you likely have in your head right now of a dog sitting atop a kayak that is totally unsafe, or ones they will just slip off of. Those kayaks aren’t the best choice to bring your furry companion along, and this will show you exactly what is safe, affordable, and durable enough to last a lifetime.
What are the Different Kinds of Kayaks For Dogs?
A kayak is basically a small canoe that is usually made of a hard-plastic material and seats one to three people. The type of kayak that this article will cover is the ‘sit-on-top’ kayak, which is exactly what it's name suggests.
Sit on top Dog Kayak
This type of kayak resembles a small canoe and has three sub-types:
- One seater kayak
- Tandem or three-seater kayak
- Fishing kayak
Each type of sit-on-top kayak has unique features and can seat one, two, or three people. These types of kayaks have a large hole in the middle that has seats and legroom. A one-person sit-on-top kayak is smaller, and the kayaker’s legs fit under the bow, or the front of the kayak. Two-seaters and three-seaters just have more seats and are much longer than a single-person kayak. Fishing kayaks have unique features like pole-holders, a cargo area to store tackle and coolers, and other features fishers thoroughly enjoy.
The only kayak in the list above that cannot accommodate yourself and your fur buddy is the single-seater sit-on-top kayak. There just isn’t enough room for them inside the kayak. The smallest type you can fit a dog in is a tandem (two-seater) kayak. It’s easy, one seat for you, and one seat for Rover. Or, a three-seater kayak can accommodate the family dog, and a couple looking for a nice, relaxing day on the water.
The sit-on-top kayak is the easiest kayak to control. They are a bit wider and longer than other types of kayaks, which make them more difficult to roll over. A beginner can easily control this type of kayak with just a little practice.
Other types of dog kayaks include:
- Touring Kayak – These kayaks are exceptionally large and are built for long trips. They are very stable and have plenty of room for two people and the family dog.
- Sea Kayak – This type of kayak is a sleeker version of the sit-on-top type and are built for stability on the waves of the ocean. They are longer, faster, and can seat one to three kayakers.
- White Water Kayak – This type of kayak isn’t one you’d purchase if you plan on taking your dog out on the water. These are built for rough waters and usually only fit one person.
- Children-Sized and Inflatable Kayaks – These kayaks may be a good choice for a single person and their dog but be aware of the materials the kayak is made of, because a dog’s nails may damage the kayak. They are usually much cheaper than a regular kayak, so you may be able to save money if you were to find one that is well made.
Best Sit-on-Top Kayaks for People and Dogs
The Perception Tribe 13.5 Sit-on-Top Kayak
This kayak comes in at number one of this list of best kayaks for dogs because it has all the right features to take your puppy on all kinds of water adventures. It is offered in three colors: red and yellow, blue green and white, or a tie-dye pattern of green blue and white.
The ‘Tribe’ model can be purchased in two sizes: the 13.5ft version or the 11.5ft version, both of which can accommodate a person and a dog. However, the smaller version doesn’t have too much room for a larger dog. A smaller dog can sit comfortably between the paddler’s legs though.
Lifetime 10 Foot, Two Person Tandem Fishing Kayak with Paddles
This product is a simple, yet very versatile in its usability. It is constructed from a high-density polyethylene plastic that is sturdy enough to last a lifetime. These are great for people who don’t want an enormous kayak that is over 13-14 feet in length but will still seat themselves and their dog comfortably.
The mold inside has multiple footrests, making it easy for adults of all sizes to be comfortable. This model comes with two paddles with clips that hold the paddles to the sides of the kayak securely. What’s better is that it also comes with three fishing pole holders and a storage hatch in the rear of the kayak that is completely waterproof to protect your sensitive belongings like your wallet, phone, and other items.
SUNDOLPHIN Sun Dolphin Bali Tandem Kayak
This company has been making kayaks and other outdoor products for decades, and they are considered one of the top trusted companies. This model is a great choice for any person and their dog because of all its great features and safety standards. It is a tandem kayak, which will seat two people, or one person and a dog of any size comfortably.
It has cargo areas with cord rigging on both the front and the back to store everything you need for your water adventure. Plus, there are three waterproof storage compartments, so you can fit everything you’d need to keep safe. The seats are adjustable and have foldable back rests. This model is offered in two colors: light blue and lime green.
Just a quick note, every person and dog should have a life vest on when kayaking or doing any type of activity in the water. There are several reputable manufacturers that make life vests for all kinds of dogs, large or small. Kayaking can be dangerous if the proper steps aren’t taken to ensure the safety of everyone. The person controlling the kayak should be at least experienced enough to be confident in knowing how to keep everyone safe during the fun water adventure.
These three kayaks are some of the best on the market today. Take a look at their features and qualities. Determine what your perfect kayak needs and don’t compromise. A good kayak will last a lifetime, so paying a little extra for the best one is a great idea. Plus, your furry friend will appreciate you taking them out on the water for a day of fun and adventure.
Trending Dog Kayaks
- UPF 50+ protection. The Versa-brella is a clamp-on shade canopy umbrella that offers UPF 50+ protection to help keep skin safe from 99.5% of UVA and UVB rays
- Rugged cover and durable connector. The rugged canopy cover won’t rip or tear; a heavy-duty universal clamp connects to square and tubular surfaces and ensures a secure hold on golf bags, strollers,...
- Adjusts to any angle: The 4-way, 360-degree swivel and 2 push button hinges allows the Versa-brella to be adjusted to any angle to block the sun
- Easy transport for easy protection. The Versa-Brella conveniently folds into a compact carrying case, weighing only 1.8 pounds, so it can be taken anywhere. When opened, the regular size spans 38 x 39...
- Have no fear: From the beach to the sidelines, the Versa-Brella lets you stay committed to your team, family, and friends, while keeping your skin protected against the sun; 1-year limited...
- Comfortable for Anyone: Kayak Includes an Adjustable Inflatable Seat With Backrest; Cockpit Designed for Comfort and Space
- Dimensions: Inflated Size 10 Feet 3 X 3 Feet X 1 Feet 8 Inch; Maximum Weight Capacity: 400 Pounds
- Directional Stability: Removable SKEG for Directional Stability
- Increased Visibility: In Case of Emergency, Bright Yellow Color Helps Visibility
- Made for Smaller Bodies of Water: Explorer k2 is Made for Smaller Bodies of Water Including Lakes and Mild Rivers
- SUPER BRIGHT + LONG LASTING: Can be easily seen from hundreds of feet away. Ideal for use as navigational, signal or safety lights. Come preinstalled with batteries that last up to 100 hours of...
- LIGHTWEIGHT + VERSATILE: About the size of a car key and weighing less than 1 oz., these lights can be attached to pet collars, backpacks, helmets, jogging and walking gear. Use the included fasteners...
- 3 MODES + EASY TO USE: Preinstalled with batteries for immediate use! They clip on easily, and stay on securely. With one simple push of a button, you have instant illumination with 3 useful lighting...
- WEATHER RESISTANT: Perfect for use in rain or snow, daytime or nighttime, summer or winter. Count on them to keep you visible and safe during any outdoor activity in any weather.
- EXCELLENT 4-PACK VALUE + EXTRA BONUSES: Includes 2x RED + 2x GREEN GearLight S1 Safety Lights with batteries preinstalled. You also get 4x extra CR2032 batteries (2 Set), 4x straps, and a mini...
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL: AMOFY dog pet mat is made of soft polyester material with refined stitching. Our dog pet mat mattress with a comfortable fabric will keep your pet be suitable for all seasons....
- EXCEPTIONALLY HIGHLY HYGIENIC, NON-SLIP, WATER RESISTANT: The front side is waterproof and washable fabric, which has exceptionally hygienic treatment and give your pet a healthy protection. Keeps pet...
- LARGE-SIZE DOG PET BED MAT: The size is 43"X26", which can be folded and stored in the drawstring bag that can easily be buckled and released. The drawstring bag is easy to carry and can be hand-held...
- EASY TO CLEAN: Our entire water resistant pet mattress can be hand-washed or machine-washed. Small stains are easy to wipe off with a damp cloth or spray it off with a hose.
- AFTER SALES SERVICE: All of dog pet mats purchased are protected to be free of any manufacturers defects for 180 days. If any quality issues arise during our protect period, our company will fix it...
- The Intex Explorer is perfect for the pool or lake
- Inflatable floor for comfort and rigidity
- Grab rope on bow ; Welded oar locks; U.S. Coast Guard I.D.
- 2 air chambers with double valves; Repair patch included
- Measures 73" x 37" x 16"; Weight capacity 210 lb. Age Grading:6+